Thursday 11 June 2015

How to effectively pack a storage unit



When I pack a storage unit I think of it like packing a moving truck. My main aim is to ultilise the maximum available space and keep my possessions damage free. I very quickly came to the realisation that to do it well and get the most bang for my buck a well executed plan goes a long way.



1. Create an inventory

Before you begin to pack, make a detailed list of everything that will go into the storage unit. This makes it easy when you need to access your storage unit to remember what is in your unit and where it is packed. It is also great to have on hand if you need to make a insurance claim in case of disasters such as fires or flooding.

2. Clean EVERYTHING before storing

Opening a fridge or washing machine after a few months in storage that hasn't been cleaned first can have some pretty nasty consequences, empty all food, waste water etc. out of electrical items and ensure nothing perishable is packed into boxes. I have also found using damp-rid silicon packets in my boxes can soak up any excess moisture as can vacuum packing.


3. Box and cover everything

Utilising all available space and preventing damage are always my two primary goals when packing my storage unit. To achieve this whenever possible I use uniformly sized boxes to pack all the items and mattress and furniture covers to protect large items.  By using boxes that are strong, have flat, non-slippery surfaces and can be stacked high I can use all the available vertical space. Old banana boxes may seem great at the time, but they do have a tendency to cause some pretty major unwanted damage.

4. Pack your items tightly

Leave no space unused! By packing possessions tightly inside your boxes it prevents breakages and sunken boxes.

5. Label the boxes

Don't forget what you have in your boxes. I am really specific when I label my boxes, everything is itemised on the outside and a different colour permanent marker is used for each room in the house so I know immediately which room they belong to when I move them back into my house. Once in my storage unit I face all the labels towards the door and/or the aisle so I can identify them easily.  I love the smart-move tapes below to make my life easier.


6. Leave room for easy access

Sometimes my items end up in storage much longer than I originally anticipated. So when moving my possessions into a storage unit I draw a plan with an aisle creating an access way and ensure all boxes I need that I may need to access are on the aisle or at the front.

7.  Stack the heaviest items at the back

Mattresses, fridges and washing machines can cause damage both to you and smaller items if they happen to fall. I stack them against the wall at the back with other heavy items between them and put the lighter small boxes on top.












No comments:

Post a Comment